Friday, March 4, 2011

F/W 2011: Balenciaga

Silhouette Girl style blog Philadelphia Balenciaga fall winter f/w 2011
Silhouette Girl style blog Philadelphia Balenciaga fall winter f/w 2011
Silhouette Girl style blog Philadelphia Balenciaga fall winter f/w 2011

images via style.com

Out of all the collections I've posted so far, Balenciaga's 2011 autumn is by far the least wearable. Incidentally, it happens to be a particularly tamer collection from the brand, led by Nicolas Ghesquière. Indeed, it is more refined and a little less out there, but I still get a hallucinatory feeling from it. The floral print on those flowy skirts is a little trippy, though not reminiscent of typical "trippy" art.

Looking at this has continued my thoughts about fashion as an art. Of course, many are quick to categorize all artists as the starving/painting type, but still, fashion is regarded by some as being frivolous. I've pondered this issue before, but haven't come to any final decision. If fashion is frivolous, isn't buying an expensive contemporary painting? And pardon my stereotyping - most of the opposition I've heard has come from the middle-America-sports-obsessed type. With that being said, isn't paying $500 for a "good" seat at a football game a little absurd?

I intend to continue this thought at a later date, but for now, enjoy your weekend!

xox Catherine

Follow Silhouette Girl