Saturday, November 5, 2011

Hilsener fra København

Silhouette Girl personal style fashion blog autumn Copenhagen Denmark
Coat - ModCloth, necklace - thrifted, sweater - H&M, skirt - TJ Maxx, bag - vintage, shoes - Topshop

Greetings from Copenhagen! I write this from the lounge of a hostel, exhausted from a long day of walking and sightseeing. It's so beautiful here. If it weren't so cold (at the beginning of November! it feels like January!), I'd consider studying here. It's odd how soon I've managed to fall in love with the city, but each excursion from the treacherous streets of London has been quite magical. The pace of life here seems much slower, with time for smiles at passersby and no need to push others out of the way on the Metro. It's not spotlessly clean - there's rubbish on pavement, there's a plethora of wheat-paste posters and brightly colored spray paint. But I like this. It makes it feel free and less part of a system, if that makes any sense.

Silhouette Girl personal style fashion blog autumn Copenhagen Denmark

I've long had an adoration for things Scandinavian - Ikea, Norse mythology, the word itself - and this trip has reassured that crush. If only it didn't get dark at 4pm, and if it were summer... I feel like I didn't allow nearly enough time to explore thoroughly (somehow I missed the concept store Weekday, which I'm now longingly stalking online) and I would very much like to see cities in Sweden and Norway.

Silhouette Girl personal style fashion blog autumn Copenhagen Denmark
Silhouette Girl personal style fashion blog autumn Copenhagen Denmark
Silhouette Girl personal style fashion blog autumn Copenhagen Denmark

I really can't explain why, since there's no logical reason, but Copenhagen vaguely reminds me of Philadelphia. Maybe it's the quiet, charming side streets or the abundance of simple graffiti. Even the color of the pavement seems familiar, and it's been months since I've seen cars drive on the right side of the road! Perhaps it's my perception that I cannot get lost in both cities, whereas this does not hold true in New York City or even London. The size is manageable, but not small.

On another note, I tried to channel hip European twenty-somethings in this ensemble. Also, please be incredibly surprised that 90% of my hair stays up in a low bun (as illustrated above). This hasn't happened in quite some time, probably two years. Again, be amazed.

xox Catherine

PS Thanks to my friend Kate for taking the photos of me!

Follow Silhouette Girl

4 comments:

  1. holy crap, 90% of you hair stayed up in a low bun! ;)

    i'm loving these pictures and this is such a different look, at least from the ones that ive seen! i'm totally digging it. that coat, the shoes, and you rock that long skirt. please take me to copenhagen. it sounds grand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and i hadn't heard of weekday until now but i'm totally online stalking it too. have fun shopping there. -_- haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how you described copenhagen... i'd love to visit a city that feels that way. you look very chic! love the coat. and the photos are beauutiful!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this look, the neutral color palette most definitely give it a sort of young-and-hip European vibe. I'm having the hardest time finding a gray maxi that's just right, but you look great in yours!

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment my blog, it always puts a smile on my face!